While browsing the internet the other day, looking for content relating to Windows 10 issues, I found that you can still upgrade your Windows 7 , Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 Home or Pro computer (as long as you have a legal license) to Windows 10 for free!
I thought, well let’s go ahead and see if this is true. I have an HP Elitebook 8440p, so I followed the instructions below and did the upgrade. My laptop has a legal Windows 10 Pro OS now. The good news is that following the instructions below, you can keep you installed applications and files. You will however have to reset the screensaver lock, if you use that. (I do).
- Go to the Windows Download Website.
- Click ‘Download Tool now‘ – this downloads the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool.
- When finished, open the download and accept the license terms
- Choose: ‘Upgrade this PC now‘ then click ‘Next’
- Choose ‘Keep personal files and apps’
- Click ‘Install’ (It might take some time to install Windows 10, and your PC will restart a few times.) Make sure you don’t turn off your PC
- Once installed, open: Settings > Windows Update > Activation to activate your Windows 10 digital license…
- OR enter your (genuine) Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key if you haven’t previously activated your old version of Windows
Note: a Windows 10 licence is tied to your hardware. As such, if you need to format your computer for any reason Windows 10 will reactivate automatically.